15 October 2010

giving birth: good fun

Here I am, one year and a half later, smiling (actually almost laughing out loud by myself) thinking of the birth of David. That´s a huge change, compared with ten months ago. At that time, I could not sleep because I was bothered by nasty feelings and bad memories connected to the birth. Time had a huge part to play in this recovery, of course, but mostly, I changed gears after I followed an EMDR treatment

(more about that later - or earlier, because whoever reads these posts, will probably read them in reverse chronological order - so you already know about the EMDR - if you are reading in the future - that is my future while writing this post).

And now, I caught myself laughing remembering my partner one minute after David was born. They took him immediately to another room for check-ups (funny system, isn´t it? why could that not happen by my side? What were they protecting me from? or him?) I was not going to go anywhere at that point from the bed (or rather table?) I was lying on face up, but my partner was free to move. He ran out of the room immediately after them (after him), hands up like in cartoons, shouting: he is called David, he is called David. We hadn´t really actually agreed on that name yet, but we both liked it. It was so funny to see him like that, even then, that I considered it definitive, yes, he is called David, how can anyone deny that after seeing the father running out like that after his first born.

It was funny then, it is funny now. But meanwhile, for a long while, has not been any fun to remember anything related to that birth or to that building.

No comments: