12 September 2010

special child?

I follow up on the previous post.

I could easily think that I did not get the dance therapy job I applied for because I had a baby and my colleague who took the job did not and so could peacefully further her career, while mine was stunt. That´s what keeps me from sleeping tonight.

But then, three other of my colleagues got kids since we have finished school. Two of them continue with the jobs they had before. (my previous job was a temporary research project and it finished when I was 7 months pregnant so after delivery I had no job to return to)

The third of them, also recently got a job as a dance therpist. And she has not one, but two kids!

Now, now, so it is possible to have a baby and start a new career too!

What´s up with me?

Well, David has been a special child for the first one and half years of his life, and possibly for longer.

I did not get to say that yet. He was born with a heart malfunction which was successfully corrected by an open heart intervention exactly when he turned one year (celebration in the hospital two days after the operation). Soon after the operation he was also diagnosed with the Noonan syndrome, a rather rare genetical condition.

It is not really a condition, it is a genetical modification. He has one mutated gene. One out of millions. It is enough to make him special.

It is not necessarily bad, he can grow up to be a normal kid, only his heart developed weirdly in the womb as a result, and there could be a delay in general development and he could grow less tall than the average man. But no one can tell us for sure anything. We have to wait and see. Until know I see a lovely happy child who is maybe somewhat behind in his gross motor skills. But that can happen to non-genetically modified children, especially if they had a heart condition for so long.

Have you ever seen those baby T-shirts on which it is written: 50% mama, 50% papa? My attitude is that I am joking about this that I will make him a T-shirt on which it would be written: 45% mama, 45% papa, 10% random.

No comments: